A Russian Orthodox Church...

I began my day in a pretty unique way. At 8 AM, Nonie picked me up and we drove to Sparks, NV. For over an hour, we had the chance to get to know one another as we headed to her little church for Sunday Service.

In 1868, the first Orthodox church, in the continental United States, was established in San Francisco, California. Numerous parishes were established across the country throughout the rest of the 19th century.  This church was established about 12 years ago and serves a devoted population of about 40 Russian immigrants.
I delighted in the welcoming and interesting spirit of Nonie's church and the service. Even though I didn't understand the words, I understood the importance and reverence. Afterward, we all dined on traditional Russian dishes.  It was a pretty incredible cultural experience.
The history of this church and Nonie's interesting biography are too long to mention in this space yet, every time I'm with her, I walk away more intrigued and informed.  She is one neat lady and I'm enjoying our time together.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments