The Magic & Flair of Mary Blair...

I learned of this exhibit back in August, about the time I had fractured my neck. I was beyond excited to read that it has been EXTENDED, by popular demand, through March 7th. It gave us a chance for a road trip to Old Town Orange. Fun.

The Hilbert Museum of California Art at Chapman University is showcasing the colorful, stylish paintings of legendary Disney artist Mary Blair in an exhibition that features more than 20 of her iconic works.
Blair (1911-1978) is known worldwide to Disney fans as the matchless designer, illustrator and colorist whose concepts set the tone for such iconic animated films as Dumbo (1941), Saludos Amigos (1942), The Three Caballeros (1945), Song of the South (1946), Make Mine Music (1946), Melody Time (1948), So Dear to My Heart (1948), Cinderella (1950), Alice in Wonderland (1951) and Peter Pan (1953), among others.
“She could draw like nobody else and paint like nobody else,” said Frank Thomas, one of the group of core Disney animators known as the Nine Old Men. Blair became one of the few women artists who broke the glass ceiling at Disney in the mid-20th century, rising to become the most influential concept artist at the studio at that time.

Her art had such an immediate and innate joy, conveying so much emotion in seemingly “simple” designs, that she was revered by Walt Disney himself as a fellow genius.

The exhibition also includes four rare concept pieces Blair created in the development of the ride It’s a Small World, which debuted at the 1964 New York World’s Fair and later moved to Disneyland.

Check out this incredible video showcasing Mary's life and vintage Disney. Wow. I am so thankful we didn't miss this exhibit about this exceptional woman! It was truly a must-see for me.
Lunch was at the Pie Hole. Oh man, I do love me some pie!

For some reason, this pie made me think of Mary Blair and the joy that still exists because of her. Day #5 of my birthday month was a huge success!

“Laughter is timeless,
imagination has no age,
dreams are forever.”
-Walt Disney

posted under |

1 comments:

Lisa in Canada said...

Wow! I had no idea! Thank you so much for posting this :) Her work is gorgeous! She is my kind of artist. I am going to have to buy a book about her now.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments