I'm Taking a Class at Yale...

We've heard about all the virtual opportunities that are being offered but when I read on Smithsonian.com about a class called The Science of Well Being, I knew it was the one for me. Taught by Yale psychologist, Laurie Santos, it is the most popular class in the university’s history and it is completely free to enroll. I did just that and today was my first session. I am hooked.

In this course students will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase their own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. I will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into my life. SO COOL. 
Professor Santos states, "Congratulations on taking part in this journey! Over the next several weeks, we’ll explore what new results in psychological science teach us about how to be happier, how to feel less stressed, and how to flourish more. We’ll then have a chance to put these scientific findings into practice by building the sorts of habits that will allow us to live a happier and more fulfilling life."
Lesson #1 taught us about misconceptions about happiness. I took a series of tests to gauge where my happiness is now and where it will be in several weeks when this class is completed. I like tangibly seeing my growth.
The Yale course is Professor Santos' attempt at synthesizing work in positive psychology along with the science of behavior change. Her goal is to present these scientific findings in a way that makes it clear how this science can be applied in people’s daily lives. "Knowing is half the battle" just isn't true. This is a class of rewirements, changing how we see things. How many of us have room for improvement?
One of the tests I took today was the VIA Character Strengths Survey, the only free, scientific survey of character strengths in the world. After 15 minutes of question answering, it revealed my greatest strength as LOVE. "Your top strength is love which means you put someone else’s needs equal to or above your own, and you take pleasure from that. You can easily express warmth and caring for the people in your life who matter most to you, and you likely are a compassionate listener."

It is with love that I share this unique opportunity with you. Fun stuff. Join me?

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments