News from Venice...

I received these images of Venice (one of the most vibrant cities) on Saturday night, looking like a ghost town. This was sent from my friend, Fabiola. I thought I'd share her views of life in Northern Italy. Let's hope for a quick end to the coronavirus soon.

Dear Denise,

Last night the Italian government approved a decree that expands the coronavirus "Red zone" to more areas in Northern Italy, VENICE included. This quarantine will last until 3rd April. Severe measures have been already taken in Lombardia (region where Milan is located) but I don't how how much this will impact the area where I live. It seems that nobody can leave or enter this red zone. Schools are still closed. Museums, churches, gyms shut. All sorts of events cancelled.

As a result of this, today we closed the hotel because guests are not allowed to reach the region. I should return to work on April 4th if everything will be OK. Many other hotels had to take the same drastic decision even if the decree doesn't mention our position, at all! And this is crazy because after airports and stations we are the first ones dealing with people from all over the world!

I don't know what to expect now. Most important is that we stay in good health, anyway. This is the main thing. How are you? What about your country?

I send you a big hug.

Missing you,
     Fabiola

posted under |

1 comments:

Lisa in Canada said...

So many things running thru my mind. It must seem incredibly eerie with no one in sight. I have been to Italy a few times and it is hard to image it with out the regular bustle of people. Safety is of course the number one concern. I hope that the small business who reply on tourist mange to stay in business. Tough times even in the most beautiful of countries.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments