Florence- Day 2 with more details
first stop San Lorenzo Mercato Central...
Before the days of cars and super markets, this was once where everyone shopped, a large two-story building of cast iron and glass (1874).  We enjoyed seeing beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables along with unique products of Florence.
At times we played the game, "How would you eat that?"  Amongst cow stomachs and intestine, we found pigs ears at many of the stalls.  I found a recipe for roasted duck filled with this unique ingredient which called for,  "One large pig ear or two small ones cleaned and free of hair."  I believe all things we consume should be free of hair!
Kegan is a huge fan of the funghi.
Considered the best place for a magnificent panorama of the city, Piazzale Michelangelo was the next stop after checking out of our hotel.  Last night was very stormy and the lingering clouds added such a dramatic effect to the beautiful blue sky.
I think my new blog shall be called, "Renaissance Rumps". 
Most of the Florentine churches have large lines and entrance fees.  San Miniato Al Monte, high above the town is a  stunning Romanesque church begun in 1018 to honor St. Minias, a rich Armenian merchant murdered for his beliefs in the 3rd century.
After a morning in/above/around Florence, we dropped Kegan and Matt off at the train station so they can begin their true adventure.  I think we offered a great introduction and I'm certain, as they write their own Italian tale, the conclusion will be unforgettable.

posted under |

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHat gorgeous photos!! i also play the game 'how do you eat that!?' when i go out to supermarkets here in japan, or when i go out to eat and see someone else's food... someone tried to make me eat a snail and i was just SOOO shocked at how they ate it haha there are some things that i will not try haha

there are so many people here in Daisen that know you. the first name people say when i ask them who they know, its always DANISU haha which is their way of saying your name haha its very cute! even people ive never heard or met before, they show me pictures of their time in temecula (or rather like today, a lady working at the preschool showed me her daughters photo album) and i see you and everybody in the photos. it gives me such a nice feeling!! see, you're with me here in japan, even if you're not physically here!!

thinking of you always! i go back to the states in about 12 days, time has flown by so fast!

- xandra

Anonymous said...

FIORI DI ZUCCA...
My kids have a great souvenir of these zucchini flowers. They ate some in the South of France. They are dipped in batter and deep-fried. Delicious! Cannot make these here, cannot find the right fiori di zucca.

In friendship,
Odile

Anonymous said...

What a great adventure for them at this age! I was 19 when I went to China. It sounds young but at the time I did't feel like I was.
Great view from the top of Florence. Fred and I didn't make it on that trip. If it were cooler I am sure we would have walked! How was your weather?
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments