Our Delightful Sunday in Truckee...

Just 44 miles north of us lies the quaint town of Truckee. It has been the subject of a few blog posts. Today's schedule of events was just another reason to share it.

"Truckee is a place rich in history with a quaint downtown that hosts charming shops and superb restaurants set in authentic historic buildings. Recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Truckee proudly retains its historic roots. Named for a Paiute Indian chief who helped guide thousands of emigrants in their westward journey through 40-mile desert. Truckee is well known for its logging, ice manufacturing, the Emigrant Trail, as well as for the tragic expedition of the Donner Party."
Brunch was at Jax at the Tracks, a groovy diner we have enjoyed before.



What actually brought us to Truckee today was this advertisement, "Experience art where it was created – Meet the Artists – Witness the process! The Glenshire Open Studios event provides a great opportunity to shop directly from some of Truckee’s favorite local artists. The studios are all conveniently located near each other in the Glenshire neighborhood. Please know all visitors are welcome and no purchasing is required. Visit every studio for a chance to be entered in a drawing. The prize is a gift basket with select items from participating artists." What a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
Our first stop was at Lillaboo Designs. "Eye-catching, harmonious, intentional, colorful, and contagious.... Beaded & wood jewelry made to anticipate the mood of the wearer." Instantly we knew we were going to be ogling some exceptional work from talented artists.



Melissa Michelsen, owner and designer of Love Mert, was kind enough to share her artistic process.
"Her collections of handbags, self care products and home goods, are a culmination of life long loves.  Collecting glass marbles at flea markets as a child, building elaborate forts in the forests of Vermont, dabbling in painting, pottery and weaving.  Moving to towns she had never heard of with only a car full of belongings.  A wanderlust, fun filled life embracing imagination and creativity."


Her #1 selling product, and the one I went home with is an eye love pillow in a heart shape hugs your face perfectly.  Hand marbled mill end cotton with a raw silk backing. Filled with organic flaxseed and lavender.  You can heat for 30 seconds in a microwave for comfort or chill in the freezer for a lovely cooling effect.
Eva Nichols is a wonderful Danish woman who paints, talentedly, in watercolors. She opened her home for us to meander through each room, much like an art museum. She even served homemade Cranberry Coconut Macaroons.



I thoroughly appreciate the art of pottery. Having taken a ceramics class in high school, I know the difficulty of perfecting pieces. Brad Henry has talent!
I'm very partial to his darling octopus design.

This tour had some diversity to it as well. Vina Shih's Quench Botanica announced its olfactory awesomeness before we even opened the front door. "Quench Botanica is all about creating tailored and effective skincare for mountain living. Living in a dry climate doesn't mean your skin has to suffer. We offer skincare products that will luxuriously cleanse, hydrate, moisturize, and nourish your skin. We use high quality, minimally processed ingredients that work. We avoid parabens, SLS, phthalates, and unnecessary fillers."
We spent the most time at Krista Tranquilla Studio.

From her about page, "As a child, we lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains surrounded by an active community of fiber artists. As a teen, we lived overseas when there was still an active tradition of local handcrafts. When I look back, it was my exposure at an early age to handmade goods and their makers that planted the seeds of what I am becoming today. I live happily in the mountains with my husband, two daughters and a small dog that likes to steal sandpaper if I am not watching. My studio is my home where my kids can come in and tinker too. We live in a beautiful place and in line with that I try to keep clean where I can. I use natural products and ethically sourced metals whenever I can."
What a talented and interesting artist!
Our final, and most whimsical, studio stop was at Barbara Prodaniuk Pottery.  Barbara wrote of her art, "I create my unique ceramic sculptures and pottery using wheel thrown and slab construction techniques. Sculptural pieces are fired at a variety of temperatures and may include some mixed media elements. These elements are chosen with care to help make the piece resonate with a shared cultural experience that often makes people laugh. Porcelain and white stoneware are the clay bodies used."

Next year, I envision gathering all my creative friends and doing this studio tour together. I thought of them with each stop. Every artist inspired. I loved this day.

“If you ask me what I came to do in this world,
I, an artist, will answer you:
I am here to live out loud.”
― Émile Zola

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments