Tuesday in Tahoe...

Our AAUW Talking on Paper group was hosted exceptionally by Mary Jo. What a morning of being in the company of amazing, talented, and inspiring women. I am creatively nourished by each one of them.

“Friendships between women,
as any woman will tell you,
are built of a thousand small kindnesses...
swapped back and forth and over again.”
-Michelle Obama
Our 5-minute writing prompt was, "Tell about your favorite holiday song, movie, or book." It took me a couple of minutes to come up with one but this is what I wrote: My favorite song of Christmas time is Silent Night. However, it isn't because of its lyrical sweetness or the images it represents. My fondness is due to the memories it evokes of my younger son's innocence as a toddler (photo above from 32 years ago).

When he had difficulty falling asleep, I would gently stroke the bridge of his nose. Then I would quietly sing, "Silent night, holy night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon Virgin, Mother and Child. Holy Infant so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace." I never seem to have needed to complete the entire refrain. Sleep in heavenly peace. What memories!

Afterward on a freakishly warm December afternoon in the Sierra, Steve and I headed to Emerald Bay for a hike.
The last time I was in the Bay was when I boat camped with Bob and Jenny (August 12, 2022). A month before, Steve and I had boated over with them for a flower Quest. Our last hike down was the May prior to the boating. So needless-to-say, we were way overdue to get to our Happy Place.
Heeding John Muir's advice, "Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt!"
They say that Nature is Vitamin N. Our entire hike made me feel euphoric. It was exactly what the doctor ordered.


Right?!
Eagle Falls had enough water flowing that we felt its power and positive Ions. Roland R Kemler said it best, "There’s no better place to find yourself than sitting by a waterfall and listening to its music."

Vikingsholm Castle was buttoned up tight but as we meandered we discovered old relics from its past.

Our day ended on the lakeside deck of the aforementioned Bob and Jenny. Jenny created the most sumptuous "Healing Curry Butternut Squash Lentil" Soup. We dined until the mountain air turned too crisp to be outdoors. What a truly fantastic Tahoe day.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments