Sense and Sensibility & Our Day in Sacramento...

Day #4 was spent in the company of Karen and Mary Jo as we headed out of Tahoe for a full, fun day in Sacramento.

I was happy I had my chains on my car from yesterday. And I was successful in removing them all by myself, too.
First stop was the Goodwill Outlet Store. This was a unique experience for Mary Jo. I think she had fun but isn't quite a devoted fan- yet!
Lunch was to be at the Aviator Restaurant located at the Sacramento Executive Airport. The wait was too long but we promised to return again. We had to settle for Chipotle and it was pretty tasty, too.
Dessert came from the delicious Mahoroba Japanese Bakery. This place was hopping! Pastries were flying off the shelf. Oishi indeed.

I love theater, so when I saw this, I knew I wanted to attend this production, "In Jane Austen's first published novel, the Dashwood sisters find that love is an unpredictable struggle against the most important social values: family, honor and wealth. With their father's untimely death, family fortunes take a turn and they are forced to leave their home. After a few chance meetings, Elinor falls for the intelligent and reserved Edward Ferrars, while Marianne dotes upon the dashing John Willoughby. Through Elinor's sense and Marianne's sensibility, the delicate balance of propriety and passion is explored in Austen's sprightly tale. Enjoy this production of Sense and Sensibility at Sacramento City College's Performing Arts Center Auditorium." And we certainly did.
I have to admit I don't know Jane Austen's work, yet this play, set in 1811, entertained and left me feeling happy. Great costumes, unique set and earnest actors made the afternoon absolutely delightful. The theater building was constructed in 1937 and had a very art deco feel to it. Interestingly, the school was founded in 1916 as a department of Sacramento High School. Sacramento City College is the seventh oldest public community college in California and the oldest institution of higher learning in Sacramento. As we wandered around the campus, we felt we were walking in history.
 “I wish, as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy;
but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way.” 
― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments