My two favorite Marys...

This fresco in the church in Spello almost made me weep.  Never had I seen Mary look so sad.  There was something about her holding her grown son, so lovingly, that evoked incredibly strong emotions within me.  Perugino painted Pietà San Giovanni Evanglista, e la Maddalena in 1521, one of his very last works.
This is the Mary I find to be the most beautiful I've ever seen (and after being in Italy as long as we have, I've seen a large number of The Madonna).  This one by Bernardino di Betto (Pinturicchio, a paid assistant to Perugino) is here in Spoleto and was painted in 1497.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments