O.C. Register Newspaper Interview

While on our road trip, I received a comment on the Flashback DEVO Concert post I wrote Feb. 11, 2019 :

Hi Ms. Haerr! I'm a reporter at the Orange County Register working on a story about the 40th anniversary of this Devo show. Came across your really cool story here while researching it and was wondering if I might be able to chat with you briefly by phone about, just to flesh out a few more details, etc. Thanks so much! Peter

Due to my spotty cell coverage, we had a challenge getting connected so he texted, "I'll be around all day if you have a chance to try again. Just wanted to talk about the show and see if it would be OK with you if I quoted or linked to your blog post. Would also love your permission to use the awesome photo of you in your Devo T-shirt! Let me know whenever you can -- and thanks!"

When the article, titled 40 years ago, there was a riot at a Devo show in Riverside: Here’s what happened next, came out this week, I was so excited to see that for the most part, I was Mr. Larsen's primary source. As my friend, Karen, said, "OMG, you ARE the article". He used all of my photos from the original blog post. To view the article, in its awesome entirety, click here (though you might have to disable your adblocker).

Here is a sneak peek, where I'm introduced to the reader:

That’s a long time ago, but through the magic of the Pop Culture Time Machine we were able to find someone who was there, excitedly waiting outside the theater, when the second show got called off and devolution broke out on the sidewalks of Riverside.

“Whenever you went anywhere, that was the tape you played,” says Denise Saffell Haerr about “Freedom Of Choice,” the third album by Devo, which arrived in May 1980. “It was the perfect beach music. It encapsulated the summer of 1980 for me.”

My blog has introduced me to some pretty amazing people and has given me unique opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise had. Reminiscing about this four decades ago event, with an enthusiastic reporter, was pretty amazing indeed. 

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments