A Red Letter Day: Pumpkin Pie at Costco

I have spent the last few days in search of ingredients to make pumpkin pies. They are my ultimate favorite. When we stumbled upon them at Costco today, my search was over. Sorry pie bakers, but no one can beat Costco's pumpkin pies, 15" diameter of goodness for only $5.99. It is truly a red letter day when they appear.

I have been using the term red letter day for most of my life. When I texted it to my almost 40 year old friend, Brady, she wrote, "I don't know what a red letter day is but if it involves pumpkin pie, I'm in!"

For those who don't know, a red letter day is any day of special significance or opportunity. Its roots are in classical antiquity; for instance, important days are indicated in red in a calendar dating from the Roman Republic.

In medieval manuscripts, initial capitals and highlighted words (known as rubrics) were written in red ink. The practice was continued after the invention of the printing press, including in Catholic liturgical books. Many calendars still indicate special dates, festivals and holidays in red instead of black. So here's to more red letter days and lots of pumpkin pie.

"What moistens the lip and what brightens the eye?
What calls back the past like the rich pumpkin pie?"
-John Greenleaf Whittier

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments