Flashback: DEVO Concert

I don't have many photos of my youth but when I stumbled upon this one, I knew I had to share. Oh man, I did love Devo, an American rock band from Akron, Ohio (formed in 1973). Their most famous song, Whip It, went to #14 on the Billboard chart in 1980, which gave the band mainstream popularity and made us go to their concert.


My high school friend, Vivian, and I created these cool shirts and headed out to Riverside on a summer evening in 1980. Little did we know the night would make the news!
On Aug. 19, 1980, Devo scheduled two shows in Riverside on their world tour. As the band played the first show, ticket holders began lining up for the second show outside of Raincross Square, near the large plate glass windows that fronted the Ben H. Lewis Hall at the recently constructed convention center. Vivian and I were the first people in line!

A malfunction occurred with the light board during the first concert and the technicians couldn’t fix the problem so the promoter decided to cancel the second concert and reschedule it for another date.

The promoter came out at about 11:25 p.m. and the crowd knew something was up. I looked around and saw police in riot gear, which I hadn't seen earlier. When it was announced to the 3,000 people waiting in line that the concert was canceled, the audience surged forward and we were in danger of being crushed. At that point, all hell broke loose and a full scale riot erupted. When the  police responded with tear gas, some guys in line with us pulled us to safety. Wild stuff.
The canceled concert was made up less than a week later on Aug. 25th. Vivian and I arrived incredibly early and were asked if we wanted to come in and meet the band. Oh man, so cool. We hung out with Jed the Fish, a really famous KROQ DJ at the time. And Devo, while preparing their outfits for the concert, cut the sleeves off their disposable paint coveralls and signed them for us. Where are they now? I have only the memories. Dang it.
Here's the actual concert if you want to flashback with me!
"Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!"

posted under |

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That was more detail than when you told me the story in person. I didn't realize they were from Akron. That is only an hour away from where I grew up and where Tricia went to college. Who knew?

Unknown said...

I was at the first show when the lights malfunctioned. I was 19 and took my 16-year-old kid sister. The first show was great but at the end, the light show stopped working and bright white lights were blinding the audience. Mark, Jerry and the boys were frustrated but they finished the show. We exited and I'm sure we probably walked right past you in line. We hung around and heard the cancellation announcement and people start to yell and throw things. We got the heck out of Dodge. Very memorable night!

Unknown said...

Hi Ms. Haerr! I'm a reporter at the Orange County Register working on a story about the 40th anniversary of this Devo show. Came across your really cool story here while researching it and was wondering if I might be able to chat with you briefly by phone about, just to flesh out a few more details, etc. I can be emailed at plarsen at scng.com or reached by cell phone at 949 378 3898. Thanks so much! Peter

Denise said...

Kudos to Peter Larsen at the O.C. Register for capturing this monumental night in his excellent piece: https://www.pe.com/2020/08/11/40-years-ago-there-was-a-riot-at-a-devo-show-in-riverside-heres-what-happened-next/

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments