Three Great Books...

Since we have slowed down a bit, I thought I'd share some amazing literature with you. The topics of reading, flying and painting were quite diverse, so well told and highly recommended by me.

I was gifted this book by a friend who knows me so well. And what a gift it was to read this memoir about the power of books in this talented author's life. It not only made me envious of his reading list and the speed at which he read (200 pages a day, everyday since high school) but it made me realize just how important the written word can be for people. It would hardly be an exaggeration to claim that reading saved Mr. Conroy's life, and if not his life, then surely his sanity. This was a surprisingly engrossing read.
Just days before I discovered this novel in a used bookstore, I had mentioned to Steve how much I enjoy Fannie Flagg. Her books are not only true page-turners but they have a wholesomeness to them, that I find refreshing. Not only was I entertained but I was educated as well. The main characters were WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots), those pioneering civilian female pilots employed to fly military aircraft under the direction of the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. Most people know little of these heroic women. Not only did Miss Flagg weave a wonderful tale, but she left me thoroughly impressed and eager for more knowledge about these women and the era from which they came.
While I have admired Miss O'Keeffe's work in passing, and have heard various rumors of her life, I have never read anything factual about her. Oh man, I'm sorry it took me so long. What a woman! Author Karen Karbo has a very distinct, non academic writing style which was more like a conversation with a friend (over a glass of wine or two). I absolutely loved this book and have placed orders for two more written by her.
 
 "Whenever you read a good book,
somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light."
–Vera Nazarian

posted under |

1 comments:

Karen Booth said...

I'll have to add these to my extensive "to read" list. Since I just finished a book, I'm catching up on your blog before getting into the next one.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments