Blazing Through BC...

There's something about knowing you're going home that makes you want to get there. So we put mileage on, while enjoying the sights framed by the windshield.

Rising temperatures and smoked filled skies were a large part of our 385 mile drive.

Lumber is big business in these parts. We shared the road with a number of lumber trucks.


We mentioned the fires in B.C. while driving to Alaska in July. The province had over 300 wildfires this summer. I had no idea of the impact until we drove through various places, all with "Welcome Home" banners everywhere. One town had to evacuate everyone for 11 days. It was really a terrible time for all. Residents are back home now but it is still extreme fire conditions. Yikes.
Yet the scenery was exceptional, for the most part.

For some reason, this just cracked us up. We were happy to know we had a choice. Funny stuff (we went via the 1).
I liked this piece of property. In the early 1860s, the Cornwall brothers came looking for gold, but quickly realized that the best way to earn money was in supplying the gold miners. So they acquired much of the land in this vicinity and established the Ashcroft Manor ranch. This roadhouse still stands as a reminder of the heritage along this important transportation corridor.
Before each tunnel, there was a sign that demanded, "Remove Sunglasses". I didn't catch the sign but I thought Hell's Gate tunnel was cool.
Having just passed Boston Bar we decided to continue to Hope for the night. I like to say "There's always hope". Now I know it to be true because we're sleeping there.

And if anyone is curious, American Costcos make much better pumpkin pie. Don't get me wrong, we'll eat this one but don't be too envious.

“That's why I love road trips, dude.
It's like doing something
without actually doing anything.” 
― John Green

posted under |

1 comments:

Karen Booth said...

I really liked the graphic for the lumber truck sign. I had know idea that Canada was having such horrible fire issues ALL summer. What an alternate reality from the nightmare flooding from Hurricane Harvey. And you may not believe this, but to my knowledge, I've never had Costco pumpkin pie. I'll have to work on that!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments