The Pony Express Rides Again...

Today, I had the unique opportunity to witness the National Pony Express Re-Ride, an annual re-enactment of mail delivery between St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, by horseback.

The Pony Express is ranked among the most remarkable feats to come out of the 1860 American West with its primary mission being to deliver mail and news across 1,966 miles of the then untamed west.  These brave riders were chased by Indians and endured uncertain weather as they rode night and day.

Being at Stateline, NV I was able to witness the Pony Express Oath of Employment:

"I _____________ do hereby swear, before the great and living God, that during my engagement, and while I am an employee of Russell, Majors & Waddell, I will, under no circumstances, use profane language.  I will drink no intoxicating liquors; that I will not quarrel or fight with any other employee of the firm, and that in every respect, I will conduct myself honestly, faithful to my duties, and so direct my acts as to win the confidence of my employers.  So help me God."

What fun to see history come alive, right here in our town!

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

Ha! Love the oath, and the mustache shot.
Thanks for sharing.
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments