Camp Sunrise- Day 3...

The final day was filled with games, laughter and some emotional moments.  Since I can't put the smiling faces of the campers here, you will have to trust me when I say, each and every person had a blast (volunteers included).

Arising before the campers allowed for some peaceful reflecting.
Each of us painted a memory rock.  Mine is the ladybug, which I painted for my friend, Mary, who died in September and always called me ladybug.  There is a huge labyrinth, where these rocks are placed, year after year.  We solemnly strolled this pathway of memories, thoughtfully placing our rocks, with some returning campers, searching for their previous 'memories'. 
The volunteers that were part of Camp Sunrise are some pretty amazing people.  The love they have for this program and the campers is evident in every activity.
Camp concluded with a group Memorial Butterfly release.  We were each given a  triangle shaped box, and on the count of three, we opened our boxes and a cacophony of fluttering color arose.  Some of these beautiful creatures chose to land and stay for awhile, to the delight of all the children.  A magical conclusion to a magical weekend.
Prior to attending Camp Sunrise, I was trained and informed.  However, it wasn't until I saw the pain these children came to camp with, followed by the peacefulness with which they left, that I truly grasped what this weekend was all about.  Words just can't express the powerfulness of it all.  I feel truly fortunate to have had this opportunity.  My deepest hope is for peace in all those little, sweet hearts.

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

What a great event to volunteer at. I am sure it helped countless kids, giving them an opportunity to talk to others who are grieving, and also think about something else for a change.
Great work Denise!
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments