Leon Malmed, Holocaust Survivor

This Friends of the Library presentation has been planned for quite some time with much anticipation.  Leon Malmed is a full-time South Lake Tahoe resident and the author of We Survived...At Last I Speak, the true story of his and his sister’s escape from the Holocaust, in Occupied France, with the help of their courageous and heroic French neighbors.  It is a story of goodness triumphing once more over evil.

During our last road trip south, I read this amazing book out loud to Steve, and at several places in the book I had to stop, due to my inability to see through the tears.
Mr. Malmed told his story to an audience which sat in complete silence. The only sound heard were tears.  It is an almost unbelievable tale of survival in a world full of hopelessness. Adding to the powerfulness of the message, the documentary, "17 rue St Fiacre" was shown.  This is the film of Leon and his sister's return to the apartment where their life was  forever changed.
Jenny and Bob were among the 110+ attendees who were mesmerized by this story.
The message told was a powerful one.  The inscription that Leon wrote in my book- what we all took from this night- "...and a wish for a Peaceful World."

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

I saw a Holocaust survivor speak at the high school I taught at. It is despicable to think that any human could treat another human that way. Maybe I will read this book while I am in Tahoe.
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments