An American on Valentine's Day in Italy

On this day of Love, we said 'ciao for now' to our house guests, and went on a mission to deliver Valentine's goodies, as we do every year at home.  After returning, I decided to research how Italians celebrate Valentine's Day (San Valentino was born in a town very close to Spoleto).

According to about.com Italian language,  I made a cultural faux pas:
It may be disappointing  to learn, then, that although Italy may be the country of love and  lovers, the holiday is experienced as somewhat foreign, imported from  the U.S. just like Halloween and Mother's Day. In Italy il giorno della festa degli innamorati is exclusively a celebration for couples or lovers. Children, family members, and friends do not exchange presents.

Ironically after I read about my error, I received this very sweet e-mail from an Italian friend of ours which makes me happy about my ignorance:

Cara Denise,
I was just about to write to you as I've just arrived at the office and found your lovely card and present! THANK YOU SO MUCH!  Yes it was a very pleasant surprise as here in Italy Saint Valentine's day is just for couples... :) so being single I'd almost forgotten about it...I hope you have a lovely day, you are the nicest people I've met in a long time!  Baci. 

posted under |

3 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

That is a sweet note...
I am glad your efforts were appreciated!
***

keri said...

Interesting tidbit. Your sweetness transcends cultural boundaries...hope you're recovering quickly.

Keri

Deb Bako said...

Well who knew, what a sweet thing to do on the sweetest day of the year!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments