Broken bones and bureaucracy...

When I first visited with the orthopedist, he frightened me.  The wrist bone that was broken was disconnected.  He told me that if the bone did not heal properly over the next week, I would require a pin to attach the floating bone.  YIKES.  While Italian health care is ranked second in the world, I wasn't too eager to have surgery here.

In addition to having a follow up appointment today, we also went to the hospital to pay for my emergency room visit, all x-rays, my cast and the first orthopedist appointment.  The line was very similar to the post office, take a number and watch the board.  Efficient and, just to reiterate, everyone was very kind.

After we presented the paperwork for the insurance, the Polizia and the Assitalia agent required us to purchase for our Permesso, the patient Credit Director of the hospital (after much discussion and phone calls) informed us that we had purchased the wrong insurance for our type of Visa.

Frustration ensued but to make a very long story less boring, we were required to pay €88.33 ($119.32) for all medical procedures including my visit today.  Which by the way was a happy ending.  My wrist appears to be healing quite well.  The doctor thought the cast was too loose so I've been re-wrapped and sent off until March 10th when I should be cast-free, after of course, getting in the same lines and fighting the same bureaucracy.  Except now we're a little wiser.

posted under |

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise, With prices that low, you don't really need an insurance...
I am all for universal healthcare. I experienced the excellent healthcare of France a few years ago when I hurt my leg and ended up in emergency, with a Deep Vein Thrombosis.

I hope your wrist will be completely fine soon. Take care!

Odile

Four Points Bulletin said...

I still can't believe you hurt your wrist so badly! Will they remove the pin after it heals?
I am glad the bill was low for all that work. Are you working out the insurance situation?

Deb Bako said...

Has the wrist healed all the way now? I hope so!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments