Stinco is Yum-O

We have been introduced to many wonderful people and things by our friend, Laurie but I never thought I'd be excited by a food item purposely called Stinco and pronounced in the unappetizing way, stink oh!

Stinco, or whole pork shank, is the extremity of the pig's leg, between elbow and wrist in the foreleg or knee and ankle in the hind leg. It is conveniently sold, precotto (pre-cooked) where one just boils it in a bag of its own seasoning.  Served with roasted rosemary potatoes and Italian green cauliflower, Stinco has become our new favorite evening meal.

As a side note:  I'm really loving the spiky curd, cauliflower we found here called "Romanesco broccoli".  It may be in the US but I don't remember seeing it.  It is not only delicious but beautiful to look at. Interestingly (to me) Romanesco's head is an example of a fractal image in nature, repeating itself in self-similarity at varying scales.  I will never look at broccoli in the same way again.  Buon appetito!

posted under |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have neverheard of this one!!! I come from a family of real Italian cooks!! Wow can't wait to share this with them. Never seen broccoli like that either. Will be looking for it though. Girls and I are getting ready to go to Disneyland to bring in the New Year together. Will be staying at our favorite Hotel The Grand Californian. Can't think of a better way to celebrate 2011. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Deborah & the Hollander Girls

Anonymous said...

I think I will skip the Stinky but the cauliflower looks amazing! Well, actually it is Romanesco broccoli. I just looked it up. It is so pretty...
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments