Talking on Paper: Mail

 I have been a member of SLT's American Association of University Women (AAUW) since we moved to Tahoe a decade ago. I belong to Talking on Paper, an interest group within AAUW, where once a month amazing women gather to catch up on life, share their wisdom, and to write. Today, I was the hostess.

After we spend time reacquainting and dining a bit, we write based on a 5 minute prompt and then read a selection of prose we had already prepared.
While in Coeur d'Alene, I was given this placemat sized 'Picture-Story Study Print' (c. 1965) by my mail loving friend, Barb. I shared it with the group and made our prompt simply Mail. Then for the next five minutes we wrote whatever Mail meant to us. What a delight to hear seven unique voices discuss one of my favorite things. Here is what I wrote:

There is something magical about a letter that arrives hidden amongst the propaganda and junk. A hint of it revealed in a colored envelop or a unique stamp. It's a mystery soon to be uncovered with its opening. I actually get a feeling of giddiness... what treasures lie within? How uplifting a simple rectangle, which traveled across the world or just across town, can be. And that's just the feelings of receiving postal goodness. I derive at least as much pleasure in the act of sending. Sitting alone with my thoughts and excessive (I need them all) writing supplies, I savor putting pen to paper. I picture the recipient's surprise after trudging to the mailbox to then discover a gift waiting. For that is what a letter is to me, a gift.

Eunjin Jang said it best, “Life is bearable when you have someone to write, and someone who writes you back. Even if it's just one person.”

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments