Birding with Jenny (Again)...

I love when my free time allows me to stalk Jenny and join her in a meadow while she's birding.






It is never just about the birds with me.


This image is part of a very funny occurrence which happened while we were searching for unique birds. Jenny took this photo of a species she needed for her birding competition. There is no way that she could identify what it was based on where her camera focused (the grass in the foreground). She was sad she had missed it.
Well, while she was looking off into a different direction, I saw and photographed this cute little guy. When she expressed her dismay at her terrible image, I showed her mine and asked, "You mean this bird?" Once I emailed the photo to her, this was her response, "OMG! That sparrow has a gray bill, so it is a Golden Crowned Sparrow, which I still needed!  New bird for Tahoe Big Year (her 204th). Thanks for getting the photo!!!! So funny and so fun!"

I derive great joy when I help my expert birding friend find a bird she is hunting for.

“You could do worse than to spend your days staring at blue jays.”

posted under |

1 comments:

Denise said...

Here's a follow up to this post, from Jenny, "Foiled again ~ what I thought was a Golden Crowned Sparrow (because of the gray beak) is a young White Crowned Sparrow. Thanks Will (from Tahoe Institute of Natural Science) for pointing that out! So much for my gray beak theory, ha!"

Needless-to-say, I am as disappointed as Jenny! Next time.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments