Oceanside: Two Days, Three Friends

 Our weekend was spent in Oceanside, catching up with friends.

Cindy left her prescription sunglasses behind, in Tahoe, so we met Saturday for dinner. I told her she purposely left them so we would have to connect while Steve and I were south.
We dined, meandered and did a whole lot of lounging about!
Early Sunday morning, I met Julie at Parlor Doughnuts.
Then, armed with a map of three awesome estates sales, we hit the ground fueled and ready for deals.
The first "proof of a life well lived" was at the home of Dr. William E. Sugg, Jr. (Captain USN, Ret), a devoted husband and father of three, who died of natural causes here in his home in Carlsbad. Shortly after graduating with his dental degree, he began his career as a USN Dental Corps officer. He served many tours of duty, including three years in Rota, Spain, two years aboard the USS Yorktown, and two years in Subic Bay, Philippines.
I could tell this man was military. Just look at his meticulous list of expenditures ($8.87 groceries, .40¢for two sandwiches at bowling).

This home was full of amazing treasures depicting a pretty interesting life. This item caught my attention and now I regret not buying it, the Leroy Lettering Instrument. This instrument worked with an arm with a point which followed the grooved letters in a guide. The other arm held a pen or pencil which wrote the letters on the paper. Like I needed another gadget!
What really struck me was how similar the items here resembled those in my childhood memories. My mom always worn wigs like this.
Ten years after the Suggs were in Rota, Spain, my big brother was stationed there, too. In 1970, as an 8 year old, we traveled to spend Christmas with him there. My mom bought these silver goblets as one of her many souvenirs from that trip. Somewhere in a keepsake box, they are safely stored and hidden. What memories were evoked.
These Spanish mud people evoked the most nostalgia and I had to buy the entire box. As Marie Kondo would ask, "Do they bring you joy?" I'd have to proclaim, seriously, "Yes!"
We ended the day visiting with Brady and her sweet little family. What a weekend of friends, finds, and memories. I do 💙 Oceanside.

John Katz said it well, "I think if I've learned anything about friendship, it's to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don't walk away, don't be distracted, don't be too busy or tired, don't take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff."

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments