Meet Private Ivan J. Holmes...

This collection of letters were written between a boy and his mom during WWII. Cindy bought this treasure at an estate sale and has passed them to me to "do something". My goal is to research and share. I hope you enjoy this glimpse into the past of almost 80 years ago. This post is merely an introduction.

There is some discrepancy about Pvt. Holmes' life. The letters to his mom, Edna are addressed to Mrs. W. Crecelius, though his name is that of his mother's first husband, Alma Daich Holmes. I have much sleuthing to do.
There are letters from both Ivan and his little brother, Noel (aka Buzz), three years his junior. The oldest letter I have found, thus far, is from 1943 when Ivan would have been 19.
I recently learned about V-mail, short for Victory Mail. This hybrid mail process, used by the United States during the Second World War, was the primary and secure method to correspond with soldiers stationed abroad. To reduce the cost of transferring an original letter through the military postal system, a V-mail letter would be censored, copied to film, and printed back to paper upon arrival at its destination. V-mail ensured that thousands of tons of shipping space could be reserved for war materials. The 37 mail bags required to carry 150,000 one-page letters could be replaced by a single mail sack. The weight of that same amount of mail was reduced dramatically from 2,575 pounds to a mere 45. This saved considerable weight and bulk in a time in which both were hard to manage in a combat zone. I was so delighted to see at least one of these unique missives within this collection.
This postcard sent from Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD and dated May 14, 1948 reads, "Dear Mother, I'm leaving this post. I don't know know where. I will write you again when I get there. I am going close to home. I don't know where. Tell everyone hello for me will you please. Love & Kiss, Ivan Holmes"

This is going to be a diverse and interesting foray into the life of an Army soldier and eventually, his little brother, the sailor. So very, very cool.

"To me, reading through old letters and journals is like treasure hunting.
Somewhere in those faded, handwritten lines,
there is a story that has been packed away in a dusty old box for years."
-Sara Sheridan

posted under |

4 comments:

Denise said...

I had to share this comment, emailed to me by historian (and friend) Karen Dustman:

Hi Denise,

Your latest post about the WW2 letters really caught my eye! You know how much I love personal histories, and I bet there are a wealth of stories in those precious letters. I'm so glad your friend Cindy rescued them from the estate sale, and you were the perfect letter-loving person to pass them on to!

I can't wait to see what else you find out about Pvt Ivan Holmes and his travels, and his family. I only hope he made it home safely. His handwriting is somewhat hard to read, but I have a feeling you'll get to "know" him through those letters. Looks like he was sent to Germany, by the one you copied, if I read that right?

I love that they were saved all these years, wrapped up in ribbon, and that they found their way to you.

Rainy said...

Ivan is my uncle as his father Alma is my grandfather. I only came across this while looking up my grandfather. My mother is Ivans half sibling and never met Ivan as he had already passed by the time Buzzy found my grandpa. Seems Ivan and buzzy's mom told them my grandfather was horrible/dead. My mom was fully grown with four kids when she found out about her siblings. They were happy to find each other. This is amazing that you somehow found these letters.

Denise said...

I have dozens of letters between the two brothers. Are they something you and/or your family would want to have? Leave another comment and I can give you my email address.

Rainy said...

Just got off the phone with my mom and we cried to think that these have been saved and thank you for doing so. We would be interested in them, but only if you have finished. Please do leave your email address.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments