California Artisan Cheese Festival: Volunteering

For day 23 of my birthday month, I knew I wanted to be in Santa Rosa with my boys and their women. I also knew I wanted to do something unique. I was excited to find the California Artisan Cheese Festival and that there was an opportunity to volunteer. I 💗 volunteering and cheese. Win-win day!

This incredible week of formage fun is hosted by a nonprofit organization with the mission to educate people who want to learn more about artisan cheese, support the artisan cheesemaking community and its sustainability, and celebrate and enjoy the creations of the artisan cheesemakers.
Here is a rare opportunity to learn from some of the industry’s most knowledgeable experts – chefs, cheesemakers, authors and more - at a variety of interactive seminars and pairings. Topics range far and wide.
I chose to volunteer for Seminar #1: Red or White? Best wines for the Cheeses you love.
"Join the debate about whether red wine or white wine is a better match for cheese with author and educator extraordinaire Janet Fletcher. In this guided tasting, you’ll sample five cheeses in a range of styles with both a red and a white wine. You be the judge! Janet will share some of the sensory research into wine and cheese pairing to help you think more critically about what you are experiencing.  (Hint: there’s no wrong answer!)"
I arrived at 7:45 AM for my shift. My position was described as: "Assist in pouring wine/beer/cocktails during educational seminars. Duties may also include room set-up, plating cheese and pairing elements, pouring beverages during seminar, and room break-down. Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds, bend, kneel, walk without assistance, and move freely." Surprisingly, as a volunteer, we were allowed to join in the seminar and Janet was awesome! 
Five cheeses. Two wines. Six senses. Lots of great comments. Wonderful camaraderie. Unforgettable fun.

I thoroughly delighted in all the components of this day. I will be back next year.
“Life is great.
Cheese makes it better.”
― Avery Aames, The Long Quiche Goodbye


Post blog post note I had to share from the event coordinator dated 3/28):

Dear Denise,

As I emerge from the butterfat haze of Festival weekend, I want to say a big THANK YOU for volunteering to assist our educational seminars.  I am so grateful for your help setting-up, breaking down and keep those seminars humming along smoothly.  It takes a cheese village to execute all of the many many elements of Festival weekend and I'm beyond thrilled to have had your help with the seminars, which are so important to our educational mission.  Thanks again!  I hope to see you again next year!

AND, thank you for sharing those lovely photos with me!  It brightened my day to see everyone's smiles and hard work (and learning!) in action.

Cheers to cheese,

Anthea Stolz
Executive Director
California Artisan Cheese Guild
PO Box 40398
San Francisco, CA 94140

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments