Tahoe: A Visual History...Again

We traveled to Reno and the Nevada Museum of Art for its exceptional Tahoe exhibit with Chris and Jan. It was my third trip but their and Steve's first.

Ever since I "Experienced one of America’s most beloved landscapes like never before" I've wanted to bring Steve here to see Tahoe through the eyes of 175 painters, photographers, architects, basket weavers, and sculptors. Chris and Jan were also eager to see this exceptional exhibit before it closes on January 10th.
Interestingly, the fun began before we even entered the museum.
Each time I've been here, I've shared an artist that I found intriguing. Today's was Anne Brigman (1869-1950). Trained as a painter, she turned to photography in 1902. "[S]lim, hearty, unaffected women of early maturity living a hardy out-of-door life in high boots and jeans, toughened to wind and sun" were Brigman's favored subjects, and she photographed them nude in the landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. So pioneering and brazen. I loved her photographs.
I loved that Steve thoroughly enjoyed this Tahoe art historical survey exhibition, too. 
Maya Lin's Pin River (above) still gives me goosebumps. But I have to admit, Steve's reflection in her Secchi Point was pretty amazing.
This piece is a series of cut glass globes that represent annual rainfall totals and Lake clarity in the Tahoe basin over the past 50 years. It was a unique perspective to ponder.
After a delicious lunch at the museum's Chez Louie we strolled to my favorite bookstore, The Radiant Original Sundance Books and Music.

I went with the shopping intention of getting my own copy of Lewis Buzbee's The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop. It is truly one of my favorite books and this was the perfect place in which to purchase it.
I love to share images of things that make me smile. Is this Christmas tree perfect or what?! Steve said upon seeing it, "We could totally do that!"

Sharing our day with friends. Discovering new things. Playing tourists in a familiar place. These are the ingredients that make a wonderful day.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments