Southern Italy for the Paternostro Reunion...
Alex, the father of my oldest and dearest friend Annie, left Italy when he was 16 years old and we were invited to be a part of his first trip back in 54 years!  There was no way we were going to miss the history and specialness of this homecoming...
The population when Alex's family went to America is about the same as today: 86.
Alex's aunt, Vincenza (left of Spongebob) is the only Paternostro still in the village.  Her sister-in-law, Maria, is her best friend and the two families welcomed us as if we were famiglia.
After settling in, we were given a very thorough tour of the town of Benevento, a very large city with all the amenities Cuffiano lacked.  It is also the seat of a Catholic archbishop.
No trip to the "big city" would be complete without shoe shopping!
Alla tabella con i buoni amici e famiglia non diventate vecchi. At the table with good friends and family you do not become old.
It was an unforgettable day of being a part of an incredible Italian family and we all loved every moment of it!

posted under |

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! I haven't been south of Rome. What do you think? Is it much different?
***

Anonymous said...

aw how lovely!! - xandra

Hotels in Lido di Jesolo said...

A big and great family! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

My name is Pellegrina (Dolly) Paternostro. My father Anthony Paternostro is the uncle of Alex Paternostro. I would love to get in touch with him is there anyway we could arrange that. Please if so can you email me at my daughter's email pdesena2@aol.com

Unknown said...

My grandparents came to America from this tiny village of Cuffiano. We were related to a Pietro Paternostro who immigrated to NYC.
I'm sure all our families knew each other. My families were Perugini and Ciarlo.

Denise said...

This is from my Paternostro friend in response to your comment, "Crazy! We know Perugini, Aunt Rita is very close with that family! She's the one who kept up good contact!!!"

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments