An evening of Accordion music...

Teatro Caio Melisso (1667) was the setting for an incredible evening of accordion music.  The Strumenti & Musica Festival is a showcase for some of the most accomplished international musicians as well as many young talents who are looking to emerge on the stage of one of the most important international accordion competitions.  Who knew?

I always said, "I feel truly in Italy when I hear accordion music", I just never heard it in such a venue played by such amazing musicians.  We were thoroughly impressed by the complexity of this unique instrument.

Trying to understand how one works is a struggle for me.   "It is played by compressing or expanding a bellows whilst pressing buttons or keys, causing valves, called pallets, to open, which allow air to flow across strips of brass or steel, called reeds, that vibrate to produce sound inside the body."  All I can really tell you is that the speed at which these accordionists played, with such passion and emotion, made me look at the accordion in an entirely different light.

posted under |

2 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

I too love the accordion. One of my favorite Mexican musicians (Julieta Venegas) rocks the accordion. But I am willing to bet the sound coming out of THOSE accordions was very different. :)
Did you take any video?
***

Chef Tom said...

"Lady in Spain I adore you"...Silly but that always comes to mind when I hear an accordion.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments