Feast of San Nicola...
This day brings everyone to town.  Alex said it's bigger than Christmas.
While the women were filling the church, at capacity, for mass, the men and us Haerrs gathered around the town square waiting for St. Nicola to appear.
There was something about this group of naked babies....
If you look closely, St. Nicola is being carried through town in the 90° sunshine.
The first time we've ever seen firework displays in the day time and it was impressive.
The day ended with all of us in several rooms eating the most generous and delicious plates of true Italian home cooking.  A real feast day for all of us.  We truly felt a part of this wonderful, welcoming family.  Another "pinch me" moment for us. 

posted under |

2 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

Cute dress! :)
What great timing you had to celebrate it down south. Did you ever see him?
***

Rosa Chetcuti said...

Hi
Really interested in your blog especially your trip to Cuffiano. My father was born in Cuffino 82 years ago - he was one of nine children. His family lived right next to the "fontana" - the water fountain the supplied the whole village.
His family name is Mancini, his family nickname is "chamboni" -big feet I think it translate to.
I was wondering what your family's nickname was and if they knew my father's family - considering the town is so small.
Dad and 2 of his brothers migrated to Australia in the late 1950's.
My husband and I were fortunate to visit my family in Cuffiano in 1994 - time for another visit I say.

Regards
Rosa (Mancini) Chetcuti

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments