Thrift Store Goodbye & Anything Goes!

Our favorite Tahoe thrift store, The Attic, closed in June but today hosted one final hurrah.

Cyndi, Linda, and I came to support the Barton Auxiliary's Holiday Faire at The Attic.
It was as if everyone in town came to say one last goodbye and to get one last good buy. It was bittersweet.
Our afternoon found us at the South Tahoe High School (STHS) TADA Theatre for the fall musical Anything Goes. We were joined by Margaret and Lee. Oh man, what fun.
Written in 1934 by Cole Porter, the story concerns madcap antics aboard an ocean liner bound from New York to London. Billy Crocker is a stowaway in love with heiress Hope Harcourt, who is engaged to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh. Nightclub singer Reno Sweeney and Public Enemy Number 13, Moonface Martin, aid Billy in his quest to win Hope. The musical introduced such familiar songs as "Anything Goes", "You're the Top", and "I Get a Kick Out of You."
This was a completely new musical for me and I loved it. The entire time I kept saying, "These are high schoolers!" The talent was unbelievably exceptional.
We all agreed that this was the best high school production any of us has ever seen. If we hadn't gone to the last performance, I think we all would have purchased tickets for another show.
While each actor was incredibly talented, Madeline Jones, who played Reno Sweeney (the blond), turned me into a fan. I still can't believe she's a high schooler. That girl is going places!
I totally got a kick out of this day. It was one of friendship and delightful surprises.
I get no kick from champagne.
Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all.
So, tell me why should it be true,
that I get a kick out of you?
-Cole Porter

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments