Throwback Thursday: Postcards

For those who know me well, you know I am a devotee of postcards. They are "the haiku of correspondence" afterall. Over the years, I have probably sent multiple thousands (an astounding number). It is one of my things, truly. I went through my order history on Vistaprint and grabbed images of some of our travel history, told through various postcards I sent from 2005-2011. WOW.

Many of my readers have been recipients of all of these postal gems. But let's start with our most monumental adventure- Italy.
On October 1, 2010, Steve and I began our year of La Dolce Vita in the Umbrian town of Spoleto. It was a long time in the planning and truly a dream come true. This postcard announced its start.
One year later, we strolled through the village, saying goodbye to all who had made the year unforgettable. We handed them this postcard with a ton of mushy sentiment on the reverse. What a once-in-a-lifetime happening.
Not every adventure was sans sons. In 2008, the Temecula Chamber offered an unbelievable trip to China, in which 258 other people from our town joined. Everywhere we went, we knew people. Oh man. And, it is where I spent my 46th birthday. Unforgettable.
For one of our family Thanksgivings, we took the boys on a week long cruise to Mexico. It was muy bueno!
Yes, nature called, too.
Chicago called to us, twice. The first time was just Steve and me. For the second trip, our younger son joined in all the magic. The Windy City remains one of my favorites.
While our older son was on a school trip to Japan, we took the little guy with us to Hawaii. Oh to be there now!
Local places demanded postcards, too. San Fransisco (sic) was a frequent 'couple retreat'.
This commemorated an amazing anniversary trip which included a retreat with our favorite musician (at the time) Michael Tomlinson, at Fort Worden (the An Officer and a Gentleman filming site).
My Virginia brother has a timeshare in Palm Springs so it has always been a great escape for us.
I celebrated my 40th in Las Vegas and have returned every few years. We discover more unique things to appreciate about Sin City each time we visit.
This anniversary trip to Pacific Grove had us fall in love with this coastal oasis.
I had some fun solo escapes that required postcards, too. One was the opportunity to attend a Sister City International Conference in Washington, DC that was beyond rewarding. WOW.
When my girlfriend, Keri, turned 40th, she had a girlfriend meet-up in Maui. Oh my gosh, what a total blast. We even ran Maui Taco's 5K.

When Steve and I met, I explained to him how my parents had put off life for "someday". Someday never came for them. I told him that travel has to be part of our budget. I'd live in a small home, drive a used car and cut back where necessary, but I needed travel to be a priority. As you can see, we've been very fortunate and I am so very grateful. 

Look for Postcards: Part 2 tomorrow! Yes, there are a few more to come.

"The world before us is a postcard,
and I imagine the story we are writing on it."
Mary E. Pearson

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments