Our Vintage Christmas Tree...

When I lost both my parents in the mid-1980s, I became the keeper of our family's Christmas ornaments. At the time, they weren't vintage and as a 20-something, I didn't treasure them as I should have. Many were broken over the decades.

Since it will be just the two of us celebrating the holidays, I brought out the remaining ornaments to adorn our artificial table top tree. What memories they evoke.
And if you are of a certain age, chances are you’ve hung a few Shiny Brite ornaments yourself. The ornaments (appropriately named for their signature shiny coating) were insanely popular in the 1940s and 50s. By the mid-1940s, the company was producing more than 300,000 ornaments a day—which might explain why so many of them still exist (we've seen them in museums' mid-century modern displays).
Mine are especially sentimental to me as one has my mom's name written on it, by her, and many have residual flocking on them from the time my parents bought the ever so realistic snow in a can. Oh man, I remember it well.
"The Christmas tree is a symbol of love, not money.
There's a kind of glory to them when they're all lit up
that exceeds anything all the money in the world could buy."

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments