My Aunt Dorothy...

The world is a little less fabulous with the passing of my mom's little sister, Dorothy.

Flying in for visits from Chicago, as a kid, Dort was always larger than life. The glamorous Auntie who came to California to visit and to shop. Wow. I never knew anyone like her and I idolized her.
Born in 1928, she was the youngest of ten children and three years younger than my mom (on the right in both photos).
I am extra sad because, to me, my Aunt Dorothy was the last remaining piece of my mom, a piece I've been holding onto for the last 33 years since my mom preceded her in death. I miss them both!

"To live in hearts we leave behind
Is not to die."
~Thomas Campbell

posted under |

2 comments:

Denise said...

I am so sorry. And coincidentally, my Auntie Dot (Dorothy) passed away on Friday. She was the second youngest of the 10 girls, my mom being in the middle. She was so kind and funny and fun. I am sure she and my mom are giggling up there. My aunts who all live in Canada are the heartstrings to my mom also. I am trying to get up there every year or two to get a "Mom-Fix" and give the some love. My sister and I went up in June before she got too sick from cancer to enjoy our visit. I still have 4 aunts left and I treasure each one and can't imagine the loss when they are all gone. So sorry.

Denise said...

Dear Denise,

What a treasure trove of Aunts you had! Wow. I only had two, with Dorothy being the fabulous one.

Enjoy it all while you can! Thanks for sharing your wonderful Aunt Dot story with me.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments