Jack Lemmon & Me...

I used to write for a local Temecula neighborhood newspaper called The Bugle. I submitted this article prior to the Academy Awards in 2007. I hope you enjoy my memories from so many years ago (i have so many to share).

Oscar Race a Reminder of a Special Weekend

It’s hard to turn on the radio or open the newspaper and not hear discussions and debates about this year’s 79th Academy Awards. According to the Oscars’ website, "Every January, when the calendar has turned to a new year, the attention of the entertainment community and of film fans around the world, turns to the upcoming Academy Awards. Oscar Fever hits, building to the crescendo of the annual presentation of golden statuettes, when hundreds of millions of cinema lovers glue themselves to their television sets to learn who will receive the highest honor in filmmaking."

Since I am one of the hundreds of millions, I will be watching not only to see the winners but also to see Ellen Degeneres host for the very first time. I am a huge Ellen fan. I’ve been to her show’s taping and I watch her afternoon talk show when I can. When I don’t have the opportunity to spend the afternoon watching, I frequently log on to her website and explore the world of ‘Ellen’.
Memories were evoked the last time I logged on. One of Ellen’s requests is to have viewers send in photos of them with either a past Oscar winner or a current nominee. Wow! It sent me back to 1996 and memories of the opportunity I had to meet and be photographed with Jack Lemmon. Mr. Lemmon, by the way, was the first actor to win Academy Awards for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor and one of his last films was made right here in Temecula.
In 1995, I saw the following article in our local paper, "Others who want to be stars may attend a casting call… The movie is looking for adults to play nurses, hospital staff and people who look like they belong in an emergency ward." I answered the ad and was cast as an ‘extra’ in a hospital scene in the movie A Weekend in the Country.
As far as I know, it is the only movie filmed in Temecula with such an incredible cast: Dudley Moore, Faith Ford, Christine Lahti, Richard Lewis, Betty White, Rita Rudner and the Oscar winner, Jack Lemmon. Wow! What an opportunity for Temecula. The town was alive and celebrity spotting happened frequently.

The movie is about Sally Shelton (Rita Rudner who also wrote the movie) a single, pregnant journalist from New York , who visits Temecula to interview the area’s largest wine-grower, Simon Farrell (Dudley Moore) who also happens to be Temecula’s largest Casanova (funny thought really). She is staying at the idyllic country inn owned by New Age follower Ruth Wood (Christine Lahti). Also staying at the inn is N.Y. comedian Bobby Stein (Richard Lewis) who is in town to perform a show for the slightly shady local promoter, Bud Kelley (Jack Lemmon). Both Sally and Bobby have ulterior motives for their visits which become apparent over the weekend.

All of the extras were invited to attend the Opening Night Premiere at the 1st Annual Newport Beach International Film Festival. So naturally, being a huge movie fan, an extra in the movie and a devoted Temecula resident, I attended the premiere. When would I be able to hobnob with such famous people? It was an incredible opportunity.

So how was the movie? "A hilarious twist of stories with superb comedic flare!" Was one of the reviews. Since I haven’t seen the film in ten years, I am not quite sure of my own personal opinions at the time. I seem to remember liking it. I know I felt pride in seeing all the familiar locations. I was honored to meet Jack Lemmon who passed away five short years later.

Jack Lemmon may have made better films and on Oscar night, better films will be rewarded, but if you get the chance to lose yourself for a couple of hours, find a copy of A Weekend in the Country. Enjoy how Temecula was… how it was recognized as a place to get away to. Maybe even remember Mr. Lemmon who came to our little town and made a night very special for a small town girl by saying, "Yes!" to a photograph that will forever help me (and hopefully you) remember him and this great opportunity.

posted under |

1 comments:

Nesbit Library rocks! said...

I'm loving your old memories and enjoy learning something about past Denise (and how very long your hair was once)--keep them coming!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments