Writing Prompt: Things About 'Her'

Today in my AAUW writing group, Karen (the hostess) gave us the writing catalyst Things about Her. Surprisingly, each of us shared completely different things from our five minutes of putting pen to paper. Here's mine...

I met HER over 55 years ago, after a rough delivery (I was breech). She was an older mother, one who had a child in her younger years and then spent almost two decades getting more secure to bring more children into the family.

She loved life and I fondly remember her cleaning the house while dancing to Cha-cha-chá music. While her life was certainly challenging, she tried to find some joy within it.

Some of my most memorable memories are witnessing her skill as a seamstress. If there was a need for a unique costume or formal dress, she would craft amazing outfits.

Her downfall was an addiction to smoking which began when she was only 13. For years she tried to quit, without any success.

My final images were of her being ill, yet I can still envision a fun dance move, to some killer Cuban beats, while she maneuvered a vacuum. I miss her so.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments