Super Blue Blood Moon...

Since we missed the last amazing moon event (we were in Anchorage and there was zero visibility), I awoke to wander our neighborhood, in my robe, as to not miss this one!

This spectacular lunar event, called a Super Blue Blood Moon, features the second full moon of the month, also known as a Blue Moon, as well as a total lunar eclipse, which is often referred to as a "blood moon" because the moon turns a reddish color when it passes through Earth's shadow. To round out the lunar trifecta, the moon will also be at its closest point to Earth in its orbit, making it a supermoon.
What makes this Super Blue Blood Moon extra special is that it marks the first time since March 31, 1866, that a total lunar eclipse coincides with a Blue Moon in North America.
"That red light you see is sunlight that has skimmed and bent through Earth's atmosphere and continued on through space to the moon," Alan MacRobert wrote in Sky & Telescope. "In other words, it's from all the sunrises and sunsets that ring the world at the moment." I love the thought of that!
Jenny and I were parallel viewing. The above photo and two below are her moon shots from her back deck. Sweet.
What a spectacular moonset.

If one is going to be awake far too early in the morning, this was worth the lack of sleep!

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

Gorgeous! Love the pictures! I should have woken up earlier but I was too busy writing to Ellen Degeneres in hopes of having my student debt pay off. So, I just woke up at my normal time and caught it before biking off to work. Something is better than nothing. But I love your shots...

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments