A Surprise Find From Googling Myself

I was googling myself, as I sometimes do, and found us on the website The Paris Review in a post by Jesse Browner entitled, A sentence goes viral—why?

As most people know, I am a fan of quotes. Sometimes they can say what I'm thinking so precisely. One I used ages ago (and found on Good Reads) was Jesse Browner's, "Eating, and hospitality in general, is a communion, and any meal worth attending by yourself is improved by the multiples of those with whom it is shared."

The post on The Paris Review, written by Mr. Browner, was one expressing surprise at how often his quote had been used, "I ran the sentence through Google and was stunned, bewildered, and a little appalled to get more than two thousand hits. As I read through a portion of those sites on which my sentence appeared, I made a number of discoveries. My sentence was known to people from Florida to Arizona to Washington State, and from Canada through Jamaica, Poland, Lebanon, Kenya, South Africa, and India to the Philippines and Indonesia."

Okay, this is the part that involves us: To their credit, almost every single quoter graciously cited me as the author of the sentence...whether my sentence was quoted by a Christian Web, by the Oldways organization, whose mission “is to guide people to good health through heritage” and which appended it to a recipe for orange-scented faro with figs and pistachios; by the Greater Fort Lauderdale Tourism Coalition; by Steve and Denise Haerr on their blog “Haerr Trippin’,” as an addendum to their post on “Our phenomenal weekend in Long Beach with Tom and Chris..."

Out of the two thousand hits that used Mr. Browner's quote, somehow he chose to name us. I found that pretty incredible and just had to share. It is a great quote and one in which we wholeheartedly believe. Fun stuff. To read the entire article:

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

I agree. Totally awesome!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments