Ray Bradbury...Something Wonderful this way came...

The passing of Ray Bradbury, today, has left me rather emotional.  Five years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting him and being mesmerized by his life story.  Following that encounter, I wrote an article about this unforgettable event.  Here is the condensed rewrite:

Years ago, I began to read Fahrenheit 451. It wasn't a genre I liked to read. I love reading, however, and thought I would open my mind and try out something new. After a few pages, I became so upset over the premise, firemen who burn books in a futuristic American city. I wasn't prepared for all the hatred, censorship messages, ignorance or overall feeling of helplessness that the book left me with at my unfinished, bookmarked page.
 
Fast forward to this future American city...2007 and the Temecula Reads! Program begins in our new library. The flyers invited everyone to join in the program to "celebrate our unfettered, uncensored right to read!" The program kickoff book was to be Fahrenheit 451 , of course. A highly regarded book that deals with censorship and all it's ugliness. A tale of hope and change. A reminder to society to promote knowledge and destroy ignorance...machines and racial issues."
 
When Ray Bradbury entered the room, you knew that something wonderful had happened. He began speaking and everyone listened. He spoke of his life. He remembers everything and he took us on a journey beginning with his birth. It wasn't just a journey of his book titles, screenplays, and accomplishments. It was a journey of his loves. And when Ray Bradbury loved something you felt it. I wasn't expecting a love story. That's a genre that I could read. His life was one big love story and he told it with clarity and detail. It was like we were all there…looking into a microscope with his life laid out on a slide.
 
He took us through the chapter of his life each defined when he found new loves. He has thousands and thousands of loves. He never had a day of melancholy, depression or self doubt because he was doing what he love. His love was infectious and he was not afraid to proclaim it.  And he had a lifetime of proclamations.

Today, readers everywhere have a proclamation, "You are loved and will be truly missed Mr. Bradbury." THE END

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

I LOVED him too! I met him 15 years ago, when I was working at The Little Professor in Temecula. One of my favorite books to this day is Fahrenheit 451 (which I have an autographed copy of). But I don't have a picture like you!

RIP Ray Bradbury. You will continue to inspire generations to come as your mark has been left permanently on this Earth.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments