My Big 5-0...Whoa!

I began my birthday morning opening presents and cards that I had collected over the last few weeks.  I delighted in it all and the day confirmed that I am one very fortunate woman.
First stop on our busy day was Tahoe's 'dump'.  We have been on a home improvement kick and had some things that just needed to be gone.  This was an interesting place.  It's not really a dump.  It's a gathering place for separating before going to the real landfill. "We promote environmentally-friendly practices to reduce solid waste by diverting as much recyclable material as possible."  We like the idea... the smell, not so much.
After a day of shopping in Carson City, NV (our nearest 'big city') we went to dinner at Los Mexicanos.  This is the restaurant owned by one of our neighbors.  It is highly rated and we were hankering for Mexican food.
Nothing says "birthday" like a giant, delicious burrito!
Final stop of the night was at our Community College for a film that I was very excited about.  We were introduced to Aldo Leopold and his book The Sand County Almanac by Kegan.  We even visited the Leopold Foundation  Center and Shack in Baraboo, Wisconsin.  He was considered by many as the father of wildlife management and of the United States’ wilderness system. He was a conservationist, forester, philosopher, educator, writer, and outdoor enthusiast.  And a really interesting guy.
For 73 minutes, I was mesmerized.  The film Green Fire highlights Leopold’s extraordinary career, tracing how he shaped and influenced the modern environmental movement. Leopold remains relevant today, inspiring projects all over the country that connect people and land.  Living in a place like Lake Tahoe really puts his "Land Ethic".  Within this work, he wrote that there is a need for a "new ethic", an "ethic dealing with man's relation to land and to the animals and plants which grow upon it".  Steve and I both walked away with a feeling of hope for the next 50 years of our lives.  It was extremely powerful and worth seeing.
It was a unique way to spend my birthday and I am thankful for every moment of it.  "When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears."

posted under |

3 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

What a fun birthday! You are LOVED!
Your birthday burrito looks yummy! How was it?
I am glad you enjoyed the movie. I am still working on getting it here. :)
***

Denise said...

Jim's favorite book and I believe up there with the boys. Never knew this place existed. Will have to make a visit there.

Denise said...

I guess I need to read more carefully. Have to look for the movie somewhere... was thinking it was a museum. Yikes for my memory.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments