Typewriting Instructions Circa 1947

Why do I need this book? There's no need, it just struck me as something very cool and I just had to have it.

20th Century Typewriting Fifth Edition (written by D.D. Lessenberry, Director, Courses in Commercial Education University of Pittsburgh and T. James Crawford, School of Business, Indiana University) is 75 years old. It is considered, if it says so itself, the Complete Course.
We forget how it was in the early days of typing. For example, some keys were not on the keyboard and one had to do special 'tricks'. To get the Equal Sign (=) one had to "Use the hyphen; backspace; turn the left cylinder knob slightly away from you; hold the knob in position; type the hyphen a second time; return the cylinder to writing position."
 “I have the typewriter and I have white paper
and I have me, and that should add up to a novel.”
— William Saroyan.
I do love the completeness of this book. It even describes how to insert paper.
It clearly demonstrates how to properly address and fold a letter. I so remember doing this in my typing class. Wild.
I guess everyone in 1947 needed to know how to work the Mimeograph Duplicator. Ah, the smell of a newly copied worksheet!
My favorite page was this one teaching Finger Gymnastics. "Brief daily practice of finger gymnastics will strengthen your finger muscles and increase the ease with which you type. Begin each typing period with this conditioning exercise. Choose two or more drills for this practice."
And my favorite of the drills? It has to be DRILL 6. "Hold both hands in front of you, fingers together. Hold the last three fingers still and move the first finger as far to the side as possible. Return the first finger; then move the first and second fingers together; finally move the little finger as far to the side as possible." What?!
I'm pretty sure Gene Roddenberry had this typing book and used DRILL 6 for Dr. Spock's famous greeting, "Live long and prosper". Right?

So as you can see, I didn't need this book but it will provide me with hours of glee as I learn more about the typing of yore.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments