Day 2 of our Sacramento Sojourn...

Since last night's trip to the cemetery was guided and dark, we returned today with dowsing rods for ghost talks and photographing.

The Sacramento Historic City Cemetery (or Old City Cemetery), is the oldest existing cemetery in Sacramento (1849). It is located at the highest point in the City and was designed to resemble a Victorian garden. The sections that are not located in level areas are surrounded by brick or concrete retaining walls to create level terraces.The cemetery grounds are noted for their roses which are said to be among the finest in California. And how cool is the A.A. Van Voorhies mausoleum, built in 1894?
I am always sad to see the graves of children. Poor James and Eliza Fountain outlived six of their sons and daughters so very, very tragic.
We found this marker to be quite interesting. In the Mohammedan Cemetery there are several gravesites dedicated to members of Sacramento's early Muslim community. There are several other areas in the cemetery where Muslims are buried, but this portion (in the famous Crocker Section) is the earliest identified for its association with them.


As we strolled, we were so impressed by the statuary. All the symbols mean something so I had to know what significance is the palm frond in this woman's arms. According to a very informative website, the Palm symbolizes "spiritual victory over death, martyrdom, peace". Now I wish I knew the departed's story. History lessons abound in cemeteries.
What I love about this particular place is that it is full of life among all the death. To sit and listen to bird song or to frolic in all the foliage, it is more park than cemetery. It really is an exceptional space in which to explore. Every time I return, I discover so much more.

Located on our path home, I wanted to share Folsom State Prison (1878) with Cyndy by visiting the Museum, located on the grounds. Being the exceptional tour guide that I am, I called yesterday to get the hours. However, when we showed up, it was closed due to a lack of a docent. Next time, we will call the day of.
Even though we couldn't explore the history through the museum, we wandered the grounds and made promises to return.

It was a diverse, exciting, informative two days that I would gleefully repeat anytime soon. I love our local history and I am delighted even more as I go along.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments