WordWave One-Act Play Competition

How can we not attend a production described so intriguingly? "This spectacular event is the culmination of a three-month playwriting competition where the top three plays are selected to be showcased as a performance reading on stage in the Boathouse Theatre. The winning writers are invited to attend the performance and provide a short question & answer period at the end of the evening to allow audience members a glimpse into the creative process. Be the first to discover new talent and enjoy an unforgettable evening of raw theater."



While each of the pieces were very well done, my favorite was Gallery Talk, the winner of this year's competition. The playwright is Peter Orvetti, an intelligence analyst and writer who resides in Washington, D.C. He has been performing in professional and community productions throughout the region since 2012. Gallery Talk has three pieces of art who communicate when no museum patrons are around. It totally made us rethink how we view art and act when in museums. It was very humorous. I would love it to become a full-length play. So well done.
Gabriella Giocomo's piece, Locked In, was entertaining due to the clever writing but also because Gabriella is only 21 years of age. Wow. Actor Dave Hamilton (far left) blew us away with his comedic talents.
The Q & A with the actors, writers and directors added extra insight that one doesn't usually get with a night of theater. This was the perfect end to the theater season in the Boathouse. Bravi to all involved.

posted under |

8 comments:

Peter Orvetti said...

Thank you so much! I was unable to travel out to see my play "Gallery Talk" performed, but the director was kind enough to send me video. I was highly impressed by the skill and creativity of the actors and artistic team, and deeply touched to see the first-ever production of something I've written outside of short sketches.

Michel said...

Just curious, dear blogger: Is it the entire First Amendment you object to or just the part about free speech? I posted a comment with a different viewpoint about this play -- no personal attacks, no smart alecky remarks, no profanity -- and it has been deleted. I'm sorry if I offended you by saying I found Gallery Talk to be a predictable one-joke show. That's just my honest opinion. And, if the playwright has hopes of pursuing his work professionally, he'll have to accept that not all reviews will be glowing. If you allow for comments on your blog -- and you do -- then you should allow for dissenting viewpoints. Otherwise, don't ask for comments.

Peter Orvetti said...

Well, I would be happy to read your critical assessment.

Denise said...

Peter, I appreciate your comment but I am not a critic, I'm a cheerleader. It's interesting your comment came now as I just ran into the actress who played 'The Statue'. We reminisced about what an exceptional piece "Gallery Talk" was. Thank you again for writing it. Wow. You go Peter! (cheerleader speak).

Peter Orvetti said...

Thanks! That was actually in response to the person who said a critical response was removed. I’m happy to hear constructive criticism; I have been acting and writing for quite a while, so I’m used to it.

Ben said...

I saw this play and must agree that it's not a well written work. It smacks of the type of TV sketch in which the comic premise wears thin after a minute or so, and then you wonder why it's still going on long after the joke has played out. It's a common mistake of new playwrights to assume that all you need for a stage drama is to have characters complain or argue with each other. The author of Gallery Talk might consider taking a playwriting class to better understand what goes into making a stage drama that's also a good story.

Denise said...

I have to apologize to Michel. I didn't mean to offend and you're right, we do have free speech. I have always blogged with the motto, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything". I didn't realize this could be a platform for critique. I apologize sincerely.

Peter Orvetti said...

This popped up in my Google Alert again today... While I am fine with criticism, it seems rather presumptuous of "Ben" to assume I've never taken a playwriting class. This was a piece I wrote at first for a sketch comedy troupe and then expanded slightly for submission to this festival. I've done a lot of other writing, both professionally and as an avocation.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments