Geology of the Tahoe Rim Trail Again...

Two years ago, I had the pleasure of attending Dave Schnake's Tahoe Rim Trail Geology Talk. I told him afterward that I will have to hear it about five more times to really get it, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I did comprehend.

In a little over an hour, Dave was able to share with us the geologic history of the world, and Lake Tahoe, beginning 230 million years ago. He is a very fast talker! Dave knows his stuff. He is a Tahoe Rim Trail Association Board Member and Crew Leader, and a trained geologist/ geochemist. He gave us the low down on Tahoe geology, answered many questions and shed the light on many geologic phenomenon that had me curious. He even explained the strange rocks and formations found around our basin. This was all super interesting!
By the way, the Tahoe Rim Trail is a 165-mile long-distance hiking trail that forms a loop around the Lake Tahoe Basin, through Nevada and California. If we are ever here in the summer, long enough, Steve and I plan to hike the entire trail (in segments).

I always delight in learning about this place we call home.

“Of all the paths you take in life,
make sure a few of them are dirt.”
-John Muir

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments