13th ANNUAL SNAPSHOT DAY...

Snapshot Day is the one-day volunteer based annual event that takes a picture of one moment in time of our watershed.  Volunteer monitoring teams went out to various monitoring sites and performed a stream walk (visual assessment), collected field data, grabbed samples and took photos.  Streams were field tested for dissolved oxygen, conductivity, pH, and temperature.  Water samples were taken back to the central meeting location and measured for turbidity, nutrients and fecal coliform bacteria.  All very scientific and surprisingly fun.

Our team leader, Richard, is a Senior Engineering Geologist so I think our group absorbed the most knowledge, with our locations being pretty significant.

The goal of the day was to promote environmental education and stewardship, in addition to collecting valuable water quality data.  It was an incredible learning experience.

Okay, about the photo of me in waders.  When I signed up, I didn't know where I would be assigned.  I borrowed the large waterproof pants from a friend and told everyone I would be wearing them.  Needless-to-say, when the day was done and I hadn't needed them, I found a riverbank, donned the 'outfit' and set the tripod!  Yes, that's me...

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

Well, the picture of you in waders is super cute. What a fun event to volunteer. I wish I could have helped out!
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments