A lost girl...

I felt compelled to write something about this sadness and my Writing Group was the catalyst for putting my thoughts on paper.  I sent it into our local paper and it was published today...

A 19 year old, full of hope and possibilities celebrating the new year, heads in the wrong direction, doesn't understand the dangers of the cold here in Tahoe.  She wanders off alone.  Her parents worry because she hasn't communicated.  She's a good girl after all.  The police ask if she could have run away.  People speculate the worse.  Days pass by and there is no word from her.  Hundreds search.  Hope begins to diminish.  A body is found.  Hope is completely gone.  Alyssa Byrne is dead.

There is a country song that speaks about a lifetime of bad decisions.  People whose lives are continually damaged by a series of poor decisions.  Alyssa was only 19, that isn't a lifetime.  That's just moments of a lifetime, hardly any time for any decisions about life.

This tragic event has impacted me deeply.  As a parent, there could be nothing worse that the thousands of minutes, slowly passing, Alyssa's parents waited for word of her.  Friends, family, searching for days with no answer.

In my youth, this could have been me.   I made a series decisions that could have had perilous repercussions.  But I survived.  I didn't fall in a snow-covered ditch and die alone.  I was the lucky one.  The one who was given another opportunity.  The one who was allowed to make a lifetime of good decisions.  I'm here yet I am sad.  I mourn for this young girl, full of possibilities who could have been me.  I weep for her and her family.  The quote, "A peacefulness follows any decision, even the wrong one"  seems rather poignant and I wish the Byrne family peace.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments