Road trip to the Dolomites and Austria...

We head north, early tomorrow morning, for an explore of new territories for us:  The Dolomites and Hall, Austria.  One of our favorite tour book authors is Rick Steves.  He has motivated us to embark on this trip with the following descriptions:

Italy's dramatic rocky rooftop, the Dolomites, offers some of the best mountain thrills in Europe. The sunny Dolomites are well developed, and the region's famous valleys and towns suffer from après-ski fever... The bold light, gray cliffs and spires, flecked with snow over green meadows under a blue sky, offer a powerful, unique, and memorable mountain experience.

The town of Castelrotto (where we are staying for three nights) was built for farmers rather than skiers. It has fine and friendly hotels, and more village character than any town around. Pop into the church to hear the choir practice. And be on the town square when the bells peal.

Hall was a rich salt-mining center when Innsbruck was just a humble bridge (Brücke) town on the Inn River. Hall, a diminutive village in comparison, has a bigger old center. Its rich bundle of pastel buildings and cobbled streets feels refreshingly real.  The luxurious Tirolean Baroque church, the elegant architecture lining the streets, and 500-year-old mint (which lets visitors make a coin the traditional way) combine to make it clear that in its day, Hall was a local powerhouse.


Steve and I are excited about this northern adventure and according to the weather forecast we are promised 80° days!

posted under |

5 comments:

Tom said...

A Happy Cinco de Mayo to my Italian sojournors. Eighty degrees, wow, I think it took about 4 days to get to 80 when we were there.

l'artista tigre said...

And u are NOT bringing me? I can not believe the preferential treatment u two give each just because u have been married for ever! I am going to file a DENUNCIA! Its just NOT FAIR!!!

l'artista tigre said...

remember my quote for the day on my blog stop!

"This existence of life chose me, I was just subpoenaed”Francesca Owens

http://crazyartistinspoleto.blogspot.com/

Four Points Bulletin said...

I too love Rick Steves, I think I have a nonsexual crush on him. Your trip sounds amazing. And something for Fred and I to consider when we are there. I look forward to seeing more pictures.
Happy travels!
***

Kris Angel said...

Nice article....

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments