Happy Women's Day...

Today is the La Festa delle Donne (International Women's Day's 100th year).  Italian men (and my American man) celebrate it with the traditional gift of yellow mimosas to Italy's lovely women.

This civil holiday was born as a political event, and over the course of years blended into the culture of many countries, to the point that in some celebrations, the day lost its political flavor, and became simply an occasion for men to express their love to the women around them.

Italians are fond of this celebration. It is criticized, however, for being more and more of a commercial and marketing initiative, with its civil and political meaning pushed every year further in the background. http://www.lifeinitaly.com/

For me, and my love of all things yellow, it gave me the opportunity to seek out beautiful Acacia podalyriifolia, eat a delicious torta mimosa and delight in the fact that I'm one lucky donna!

To all my women friends, "Un quintale di mimosa per farti i miei auguri alla grande" ...a ton of mimosa for you. My best wishes to the great one!

posted under |

2 comments:

TomR@cordonbleu said...

1 Euro for those lovely torta's. I hope you got more that one!

M I K A ☆ ちゃん said...

looks so lovely!! i'm celebrating women's day by being sick! yuck! hope yours was a lovely one!! xoxo xandra

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments