Cannon Art Gallery Juried Exhibition

Located at the Carlsbad Library, this incredible gallery has been one of our favorite places to pop by when in town. By accident, I found out that exhibits have been on display for weeks.

If you are anywhere near here from June 12 – August 7, I recommend you pop by, too.
I love researching artist who I discover at galleries. The first piece we encountered is the work of Duke Windsor and what a life he has led.  Born in Texarkana, Texas, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps as a radio operator, combat illustrator and drill instructor.  After leaving the service, Windsor was a freelance illustrator and amateur rodeo cowboy.  He subsequently studied classical voice at San Diego State University and performed professionally with the San Diego Opera Chorus. Windsor holds the rank of 4th Degree Black Belt in Kempo martial arts, and he continues to be an active singer-songwriter, guitar player and solo performer. WOW! And I think we could all agree, he is a talented painter.
Baile de Colonia by Griselda Rosas intrigued. I love textiles and this one was so interesting. Ms. Rosas is an artist and art educator working between Tijuana and San Diego, whose practice encompasses textile art, collage, painting, drawing and curating as she explores themes of cultural hybridity as they relate to identity.

I fell in love with Sue De Wulf's at a previous exhibition. The whimsy of Remember Childhood and Flowers makes me smile.


Barb McKeon's Ocean Sunset seems to sum up her artist statement, "Abstract art provides a platform for me to meld line, color, and shape into a tangible expression of ideas and emotion in response to my environment.  My work is intuitive and represents my interpretation of things that I observe and wish to share."
"Color and repetition are important elements in my work.  Color projects the emotion while repetition provides the anchor in my pieces.  The use of hand stitching adds an additional dimension to my work that embraces the primitive and tactile nature of creating art with textiles."
How unique is the Bird Lady of Banff? Created by Cheryl Tall, an artist whose work focuses on the relationships between people and their environments, and often includes architectural and figurative elements. She is especially known for her pinch coil technique, which gives her work an unusual texture reminiscent of wood shingles or scales.

Juan Flores paints surf art, seascapes and allegorical images. The River is so colorful and vivid.

Samantha Mae Barrymore's By the River was one that demanded a closer inspection. Her attention to detail, in her charcoal drawing, was spectacular.
I don't understand the process of digital painting, though I appreciated George Spicer Bredehoft's very cool artwork.
The most unique piece was created by Paul Hobson. New World is a mixed media still life and is considered surrealism.
In 2020, Kim Reasor was Climate Art Fellow who produced a body of work titled Connected Lands, Connected People, which investigates issues of climate change adaptation, fire, and the wildland-urban interface in Southern California.
I didn't fully appreciate artist Sage Serrano until I read about her. I loved this from her website, "I look at everyday, found and collected objects for inspiration. I tend to work with discarded, non-archival, found paper products, as well as handmade paper. The act of folding, scoring, bending, sun bleaching, and making paper are investigations into mark making. Paper remembers like the body. Folding paper creates a crease that cannot be removed, similarly to how a cut may leave a scar. The scar may fade but it will always mark the surface."
It is difficult to see the detail in Loved/Torture (Graphite on repurposed cardboard). It is one that needs to be examined closely to discover the wonderful details. Wow.
Since I'm on a Palm Springs kick, Brad Maxey's The Divas made me smile. His manner of painting, his crisp and exacting capture of the light and shadow that surrounds us, is so suited for Southern California.  I love this description, "Painters sometimes show us the world around us in new ways, Brad Maxey's paintings make time stand still.  We stand before his painting and see details of reflected light which would have eluded a photographer or the naked eye."  So true.

With 30 works showcased, I couldn't share them all. What a happy discovery. I can't wait for the next exhibition: Frida Kahlo’s Garden. What a treasure the Cannon Art Gallery is for us art appreciators. Fun stuff!

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments