My 11 Hour Mother's Day Outing...

With Steve gone for a fun guy escape, Julie planned an amazing Sunday together and it was exhaustingly wonderful!

Fueling up began in Oceanside at Parlor Doughnuts, a first for Julie (but after her turtle cheesecake swooning, it will not be her last).
Our morning destination was to the Del Mar Fairgrounds and its hosting of the ÜBER delightful Queen Bee Market.

I couldn't think of anything more fun to do if I couldn't be with my babies!
I was really excited by the Whatcha got Cookin' booth and their neat seasoning packets for crockpotting! I chose the Coconut Curry Chicken. What anticipation!
Much of the show was just things to admire, for me. Don't get me wrong, there was a great deal to admire (jewelry, candles, specialty clothing, etc.) I just don't purchase those type of goods but appreciate the craftmanship and presentation.

I love these Pickle Forks!
Okay, I've coined a new phrase for the times: Covid Conniving! It would not fly in our house but I thought it was clever.

I also found a new motto, "Exist to be Happy". I love that.
Our refueling occurred on the patio of California Pizza Kitchen in the quaint town of Solana Beach.
Our final destination was Sea Hive, a marketplace which offers over 13,000 sq. ft. of vintage, modern, antique, and artisan made items. It is somewhere I have always wanted to go, I just needed the right 'partner in crime'.
A place like this is such a snapshot of the past that I took some snapshots. This was a surprise find. The original infinity scarf, the SMOKE RING, of pure silk, is versatile and can be worn a variety of ways: as a cowl drape scarf, tucked into a blouse, as a headband (either loose or tight with knotted back), etc.
Some items for sale are true head scratchers. Why would anyone want someone's old dentures? Much less pay $41 for them? Wild.

It is the nostalgic treasures I love best. I have been a photographer since I was a little kid and I remember, like it was yesterday, how these flashes worked. I haven't thought of a flashcube in decades!
The coolest discovery of the day was this camera I encouraged  forced Julie to buy for her collection. At $14.99, it turns out it was a steal. On the Art Deco Credentials rating chart, is a 5 star find being "Iconic: Famous, well-known and celebrated".
"The Jiffy Kodak Six-16 is a folding camera for 616 film made by Eastman Kodak Co. Ltd. Rochester from 1933 to 1937. It was styled by Walter Dorwin Teague. It has a Twindar periscopic lens with zone focusing; the only zones given are "5 TO 10 FEET" and "BEYOND 10 FEET". It has three selectable apertures, f/11, f/16 and f/22. It has two brilliant viewfinders in the pop out lens board, one for vertical and one for horizontal images." So dang cool.
The final cool thing we saw was this statue, the Cardiff Kook, a famous (or infamous) work of art along State Coast Highway 101 in the Cardiff-by-the-Sea neighborhood of Encinitas. The nickname comes from the fact that the surfer in the statue has strange surfing form and has been labeled a “kook” by local surfers. It is frequently adorned with various items and sometimes completely dressed up in outfits to fit the occasion. Today, it was Elvis. I tried to uncover the "Why Elvis?" mystery. The only event I could find, of any importance in May for the King, was his May 1, 1967 marriage to Priscilla. Does anyone know another?
When I saw this license plate on the Tesla in front of me, stopped at a red light, I had to capture its sentiment. Today was a great Mother's Day: diverse, fun, connected, and surprising. I AM Loving Life, too.

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

That was QUITE a day in SoCal! Looks like maybe you could have done things in order a little more based on location. You know, and wrapped up in 9 hours. But... as long as you were having fun...
we haven’t checked out the Oside market but mean to. We will wait until Baltimore Snow is there. :)

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments