Things I LOVE About Washington...

This state has a lot going on that I truly appreciate. Here is my list, so far, in no particular order, of a few of my favorite things.

It is beyond awesome to be able to see several bald eagles in the wild. Interestingly, we learned on one of our nature walks that balde in Old English meant white. Hmmm. All I know is I love the national bird of our country (since 1782), a symbol of pride and strength that earned it a place on the seal of the United States.
Doesn't everyone love a hummingbird?
I know not everyone appreciates the banana slug, named for its resemblance to a ripe (or overripe, in this case) banana. ... The banana slug is often bright yellow, though it can be brown, white, and green. Like all slugs, banana slugs use four tentacles to sense their environment. This guy didn't like me near so his tentacles were tucked away. My goal is to see a yellow one on this trip.
We were incredibly surprised my the quantity and braveness of all the new fawns we encountered all over Washington. They were in yards, campgrounds and just meandering down the road. Wildness.
I 💜 lavender. It, along with basil, are probably my two most favorite scents. The fact that it grows like weeds in western Washington has me delighted. Eye candy!
Two words: wild roses!
We seem to be a little ahead of the season, though there are enough wild (and free for the picking) blackberries to make anyone who cans pretty darn happy. I absolutely loved this description, "Every year toward the end of every summer, right between giant spider season and wildfire season, we get blackberry season. It's the time of year when forearm-thick canes covered in thorns stretch out over sidewalks and hiking paths bearing bundles of tart blackberries. The blackberries are everywhere".
And while there are many u-pick blueberry fields, how could we resist this amazing deal of 32 ounces of grape-sized orbs of delight for a whopping $3.99?
As  we traverse the state, we are so appreciating all its parks, rec sites, trails and various other natural environments which could be very expensive if we had to buy a $10 permit at each stop. The Discover Pass is amazing. In 2011, the Washington State Legislature and Governor created this $30 annual pass to offset steep reductions in general tax support for parks and other recreation lands and facilities. Because we bought this pass "we are helping to keep the state’s wonderful outdoor recreation sites open and accessible to the public." Did I mention I love being helpful?
I admit, I like to play the lottery. Not often, but every now and then I feel lucky. And why do I love Washington's legalized gambling? Besides the fact that you get two chances to win for only $1, the revenue really does benefit schools. In fiscal year 2019, with ticket sales of $806 million, the Washington State Lottery not only paid $490.4 million in winnings, it also provided $215.8 million to state program beneficiaries, with the lion’s share going to education
Like hummingbirds, who doesn't love lighthouses? This state has some spectacular, and still very much in use, lighthouses.
This state takes COVID-19 very seriously. Washingtonians are very pro-mask though they are gentle and at times humorous in their seriousness.

The town of Port Townsend took a normally empty lot and filled it full of physically distant picnic tables giving all a place to "be safe & enjoy".
And while I am very against graffiti, I have to admit that the addition of "in love" to this sign made me smile.

Isn't it fun to look at things differently? I 💓 lists about things I love.

posted under |

1 comments:

Nesbit Library rocks! said...

I remember Coupeville! And seeing bald eagles, fields of lavender, and blackberries everywhere. I bet no one told you where the little wild blackberries grow. They are the sweetest but most difficult to find.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments